HLS Protocol, GA Plugin, and Casting
The release improves functionality, performance, and UX in a few different ways, with features including: Support for HLS Protocol Version 6 features, a new model for sending events to Google Analytics with the built in plugin, and casting mp4 videos from a Flash Player via our Chromecast integration.
- Support for HLS Protocol 6 Draft version 13 features:
- Multiple audio track renditions using #EXT-X-MEDIA with TYPE equal to AUDIO
- Subtitles in HTTP Live Streaming using WebVTT with #EXT-X-MEDIA with TYPE equal to SUBTITLES
- Flash player will detect timed metadata in ID3 format when embedded in the MPEG-2 transport stream and bubble up in the onMeta() API event
- When the #EXT-X-PROGRAM-DATE-TIME tag is present, onMeta() will fire when the applicable segment plays.
- The JW Player will automatically select an audio track based on system language
- Improved delivery of 608 caption payload
- Ability to seek within the buffer without having to rebuffer
- Ability to re-seek while media is buffering
- DVR sliding control bar appears once the available length is 2 minutes instead of 1 minute.
HLS v5 features not supported
- Sample-AES decryption
- iFrame thumbnail tracks
- byterange requests
- Any timed metadata that is an image.
- Casting controls are now available when JW Player renders in Flash to play mp4 videos.
- The Cast icon won’t show when source is not playable on the receiver application.
- The Cast icons have been updated for design compliance.
Updates and Enhancements
- IE9 is now only supported in Flash, HTML5 support has been removed.
- net proxy connection type can be set for rtmps connections
- Poster image will not be loaded when autostart:true, improving player startup speed.
- webkit-playsinline was added as an attribute of the video tag that JW Player uses when rendered on iOS devices.
- Fixed setuperror not firing in certain situations when setting up the player in Flash.
- Fixed fullscreen button in Internet Explorer.
- Fixed an issue where failed VPAID were breaking waterfalling to other VAST ads.
- When an ad is paused in Android Chrome, clicking it no longer opens clickthrough target but resumes playback.
- Fixed the volume slider for ad playback in Flash.
- Fixed tag variable replacement item-duration was not getting replaced for mid or post rolls.
- Fixed using .play() after an ad was watched in Flash.
- Fixed an issue with autostart being broken for providers.
- Fixed a crossdomain loading issue with VPAID ads.