Why Do We Need AMP HTML?To quote the Accelerated Mobile Pages Project's web site, "Accelerated Mobile Pages are web pages designed to load instantaneously–they are a step towards a better mobile web for all." Indeed, using the mobile web has become a gloomy experience in the past couple years. Most pages are still designed for desktop computers with powerful CPUs, lots of memory, and very fast connections. When viewed on a phone, these pages load slowly, media jitters wildly, scrolling in pages is maddeningly janky. For more background on the challenges facing the mobile web, see the AMP Project announcement on Google’s blog. So how can using AMP HTML solve these problems? In short, by enforcing restrictions on how pages are constructed to prioritize loading and rendering speed in mobile browsers above all else. This is a gross over-simplification, so if you want more depth, Ryan Chenkie over at Auth0 has written an excellent overview. Besides better page performance, using AMP will get your pages highlighted in the Top Stories section of Google mobile search results, as illustrated in this screenshot: For the fully AMP-ified Google experience, visit Google's news carousel demo in your mobile browser.
- Faster HLS Video Startup. 5x faster adaptive HLS video startup with minimal buffering.
- Improved HLS playback performance.
- Second-precise seeking
- Improved support for advanced HLS features, such as discontinuities
- Takes the current CPU load into account when determining which HLS stream variant to play
- Improved bandwidth detection heuristics for faster adaptivity and optimal resolutions
- Show/hide player control bar. Added an API method for showing and hiding the media player control bar.
How Much Faster? A Side-by-side ComparisonThe following “HLS Startup Speed” video compares the native Android Media Player to our JW Player using the latest JW Player SDK for Android 1.2 version.
Today we are releasing the first version of our JW Player SDK for iOS. This software developer kit (SDK) enables publishers to easily build the JW Player video playback and advertising features they love directly into native iOS apps.
This announcement follows closely on the release of our JW Player…