Our favorite observations about digital video at JW Player’s 5th annual conference
At JW Insights 2018, we explored everything from video intelligence and machine learning to monetization strategies and actionable analytics. It was a very full day of discussions with 300+ industry guests, and we’ve put together 12 key takeaways from some of the best panels, keynotes, and fireside chats. Take a look below.
Takeaways from JW Insights
1. Test everything and test outside the normal boundaries, so your video business is flexible and ready for inevitable change.
2. Speed is the bedrock of video experience success.
3. Brand safety and trust in the ad ecosystem are a two-way street for buyers and sellers.
4. One of the major issues in the video ad industry is VAST/VPAID errors, but until VAST 4.0 is widely adopted, we’re stuck with them.
5. Every media brand and video provider should be invested in OTT.
6. In the age of GDPR, informed explicit consent is critical.
7. Blockchain holds promise but needs to evolve much more for true impact.
8. Data can help content creators optimize distribution, diagnose anomalies, and integrate feedback.
9. Don’t solely rely on YouTube and Facebook to gain viewers — take control of your owned and operated site.
10. Study your video’s performance via metrics, funnel down to what really matters to your business, and incrementally improve.
11. Machine learning will never fully replace human ingenuity but can expedite workflows.
12. Shorter ads might lower CPMs but also grow revenue with additional views.
Overheard at JW Insights
Check out our JW Insights 2018 blog
series here, including:
To learn more about how JW Player can support your video business, schedule time to speak with one of our video experts.